Registration fees for webinars are $175/member and $300/non-member
unless otherwise noted in event description.
Advance Directives: Ensuring Compliance with CMS and TJC
9:00 AM - 11:00 AM
Advance care planning is when patients make decisions about the care they want to receive if they become unable to speak for themselves. It is important to engage with patients on what matters to them at end-of-life care and to respect their wishes for care.
During this webinar, our speaker will discuss the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) Hospital Conditions of Participation (Cops) on advance directives as well as the Joint Commission standards to help hospitals ensure compliance with the standards. This program will cover in detail advance directives such as living will, durable power of attorney, organ donation, mental health declaration, organ donor cards, patient advocates and do-not-resuscitate orders. Our speaker will share what health care personnel should do about asking patients about end of life wishes and how to find resources on advance care planning. Join this program to learn about this and much more!
Sue Dill Calloway
President, Patient Safety and Health Care Education and Consulting
Sue Dill Calloway has been a nurse attorney and consultant for more than 30 years. Currently, she is president of Patient Safety and Healthcare Education & Consulting. She was previously the chief learning officer for the Emergency Medicine Patient Safety Foundation.
The speaker has no real or perceived conflicts of interest that relate to this presentation.
At the conclusion of this session, participants will be able to:
- Identify the CMS COP requirements for advance directives for hospitals.
- Discuss how CMS will now pay physicians to do advance care planning.
- Describe the Joint Commission standards on advance directives.
- Explain what is required of hospitals under the federal law called the Patient Self Determination Act.
- Explain how information on the hospital’s advance directive policies must be given to inpatients, ED, observation and same-day surgery patients under the CMS CoP hospital manual.